Sunday, April 17, 2011

No thanks, I'm on a low carb diet

I know I said I was planning on updating this blog on a weekly basis, but we got home from dinner out tonight to something we couldn't help but share. Those of you with dogs will probably find this funny. Those of you without dogs will wonder how or why we put up with this.

We have two dogs, Truckee and Kelsey. Truckee is a yellow lab, about 5 years old, and Kelsey is a golden retriever mix, about 3. They both love to eat and after our annual visit to the vet in 2010, were both put on a diet. We are glad to report Truckee has gone from 130 pounds (in 2010) to 100 pounds, right where our vet says he should be. Since losing the weight Truckee has taken to snacking on the occasional cookie, cake, gingerbread house or loaf of bread. Pretty much whatever is available.

Anyhow, we keep our bread in the Lazy Susan in our lower kitchen cabinets. On occasion we forget to close the cabinet. Which is what happened when we left the house tonight.

When we got home tonight we found these various chewed up plastic wrappers scattered on the floor of the computer room:


Here is the list:

1 bag of 8 hotdog buns
1 bag of 8 hamburger buns
1 bag of flour tortillas
1 bag of sandwich rolls
1 bag of King's Hawaiian rolls
1 bag of Thomas' English Muffins

To his credit, Truckee left this untouched:


One bag of Sara Lee bagels - when we picked it up off of the floor we saw one of the bagels had some mold on it. He may be hungry but he sure is aware of the dangers of mold.

As you can see he pretended to have no idea who could have eaten all this bread, but when I was taking his picture he refused to look at me (and he would not get within 2 feet of the Lazy Susan - I guess I wouldn't blame him, his stomach was probably not feeling great by this point).


A closer inspection of the cabinet found another casualty - a half eaten loaf of whole grain bread that was  apparently tightly wedged in the back of the cabinet. 


I can't explain why he left the bag of Thomas' bagels (in the foreground) untouched, maybe his real goal here was to add some fiber to his diet and skip the bagels.  Regardless, the joke is on him. The whole grain bread wrapper says it is "Fresh Thru December 28". Ha ha, Truckee, it was probably stale (but clearly not moldy).

If you're thinking we blame Truckee for everything and Kelsey may have had a part in this: yes, we do blame Truckee for everything but its because Kelsey was locked up safe and sound in his 6' by 12' cage in the basement while we were gone. 

We stopped locking Truckee up with Kelsey after Truckee got his paw struck in the chain link fence cage downstairs and got hung up in it. Truckee is the mastermind of the two and never liked the cage. Kelsey, on the other hand, knows that he gets a Snausage every time he goes into the cage, and begs to go there every time he walks by the basement door. 

I'm sure those of you with dogs have stories to match this one. Apart from the "I'm not allowed to tell what happened to the ham" story my Mom tells (that involves Uncle Chris), my second favorite is about her friend's Great Dane who stole a whole cooked turkey from an unknown neighbor's house (Happy Thanksgiving).

No comments:

Post a Comment